11.07.2010

In Search Of . . .

My dear friend Lisa and I have a thing we usually do.   We are both captivated, okay maybe that is not enough, enraptured, fascinated, okay maybe the word is OBSESSED!  We are both obsessed and deeply in love with Christmas and everything having to do with Christmas.
Taken at my 20th Anniversary Party.
Okay so every year around Thanksgiving, Lisa and I start to think of what our color theme is going to be for our trees and home decor for Christmas.  BES store Christmas unveiling usually is what sets us off.  We make endless trips to Joannes, ACMoore, Michaels, Target, Feeney's and of course BES (I'm writing only the initials so that our husbands don't find out.)  Hee Hee.  We talk on the phone and memorize the latest Frontgate Christmas catalogues.  We already have collected at least ten of them.   I have always loved Thanksgiving, for years, but I also have always known that Thanksgiving Eve meant only one thing.    "It's Decorating Time!  Even when I was single I would always drag out the Christmas boxes way before the turkey was even put away.  Back then there were usually 3 to 4 boxes.  I have 22 now.  AHHHHHHH!  And I'm sure Lisa has even more.  SHHHHHH!  Anyway, I had never met somebody who did the exact same thing until I met Lisa years back when our sons were in Kindergarden.  That was 15 years ago.  Crazy!  One year, I remember, it was Thanksgiving night and Lisa and I both opened our boxes that had been put away for a year.  I believe this was the first year we started taking classes at BES and after opening up our boxes we both called one another.  I can't speak for Lisa but the things I found in the boxes were so not what I wanted.  We were both frantic!  I had twisted paper like flowers and poor sad little arrangements that I had made the year before.  I remember saying "What was I thinking?  Or "What the heck is this?"
So this year, even though my dad passed I decided to decorate my home even though I am not having my Christmas yearly Extravaganza.  I figured that having all these months of sadness I needed a distraction.  Even if no one will see my decorations but me and my family, that is enough for me.  Christmas is about celebrating your faith.  I love to have the house decorated in Christmas lights and sparkly ornaments.  Late at night I love to sit in the dark listen to Christmas music softly and look at my trees all lit up and sparkly.  I feel peace and it fills me with joy.    I need Christmas this year more than ever even if it's just for my eyes to see.
So after our trip to BES the following day Lisa and I began our yearly obsession.  We went to Feeney's and searched through our books in search of Lisa's new color scheme.  (Burgundy balls)
Lisa just had her house redone, color, curtains and decor and needs a new color theme to match.
I can't wait to see Lisa's new theme put into her trees and decor.  I am changing a few things, I have decided to incorporate red in my family room.  Last year Pottery Barn and Restoration H had a clearance sale.  I bought such beautiful red glass ornaments.  I need to get some more and I'm going to bring in some grey to work with the red.
Will post the end result sometime after Thanksgiving.  Until then,  Lets all get excited about silly things.  There's too much sh*t in the world to deal with.  I wanna get lost in doing things to bring beauty in my life.


1 comments :

shannon said...

I love Christmas, too! I don't like talking about Christmas, smelling Christmas scents, listening to Christmas music or watching Christmas movies until Thanksgiving is over...My mom could watch Christmas movies all year round, but for me it just makes it less special...
It's such a sacred time of year that I just really try to guard it by not making it feel like an everyday thing...

That being said...I'm actually loving working at Susan's with the halls decked to the nines! There goes my whole no Christmas before Thanksgiving theory...eh? There's noooooo escaping it there!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...