1.28.2013

Baking Vegan For The Day


My family and I discovered a new cookie that we love.  They are the chocolate chip cookies made by Tates.  Have you heard of them?  They are so delicious.  I was recently at my hallmark store, which by the way carries them, and found this book.  I had to get it.  Well there are several Vegan recipes in it as well.  I decided to make one of the recipes.  

I had to buy vegan butter to make them, but everything else I had in the house.  


The recipe was very easy and pretty quick.  I always have fresh lemons and blueberry's on hand.  I am obsessed with blueberries and always have a fresh supply in my fridge.  

I thought they were good.  I wouldn't recommend them without the glaze.   Scones are never very sweet so I've always served them with some type of glaze or a dusting of confectioners sugar.  Paired with a hot cup of coffee I think they are worth doing again.  

Ingredients
2/12 cups unbleached all purp flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
1/4 teasp salt
8 tbsp of cold vegan soy margarine
1/2 cup water or almond milk 
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup of fresh blueberries

Mix dry ingredients with margarine cut up in small pieces and freeze in freezer for 15 min
Mix lemon juice, zest and water or almond milk together and freeze for 15 min
Take out and mix together with blueberries and then knead and make a disk and cut in triangles
Bake at 425 for 30 min or until golden brown

Now I didn't make the rosemary and blueberry glaze for it.  My sons don't love rosemary so I decided on just using the 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and 2 teasp pure vanilla extract.
Enjoy!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...