3.01.2013

Greetings March, We've Been Waiting. . .

March is finally here and I can barely contain my excitement.  I'm not fond of the darkness nor the cold, although I adore Christmas and could never see myself any other place but home with snow, I have been counting the minutes and seconds until March's arrival.  
Although temperatures remain in the 40's and I'm still wearing my coat, there is hope.
Hope for sprouting of buds, hope for warmer air, hope for brighter light and longer days
I actually noticed the trees in my town beginning to bud.  I nearly jumped out of my socks and shoes in excitement.  
I can't wait to dig into the earth and stir the soil in my hands, plant my vegetable garden and smell my roses.  I want to sit on my front porch and swing and loose the sense of time because the smell of the lilacs are helping me to relax.  Fry my first green tomato form my garden.
My garden has about 8 lilac trees, 5 myrtles, 2 magnolias, unfortunatley I have lost all my dogwoods.  I don't know why I've never had luck with Dogwoods.  The property had 6 dogwoods when I moved in over 18 years ago and now I have none.  3 were hit by lightning and the others have just gotten sick and died.  I bought 2 baby ones two years ago that must have been 4 feet high, the deer ate them down to the ground.  I have 2 cherry trees, 1 weeping willow and a weeping cherry, a few japanese maples, and a couple of old oak trees and then a lined driveway and line of white pines along the perimeter or my property.  We have lost so many pines and every year my fear is loosing some more due to the extreme climate changes and tough winters.  I love my trees and feel as if I have been allowed to dwell among them on their land, since it was theirs first.  I'm anxious to see my trees wake up from their long slumber.  To smell the grass in the air and be surrounded by the sweet smell of the variety of flowers around my home. 

Welcome March, Welcome Spring with open arms

5 comments :

Windlost said...

So envious. Grass won't sprout here until May. Your yard is always gorgeous.

xo Terri

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I am so looking forward to Spring. I agree with you that the dark becomes too much, but like you I think I need the change of seasons. I've never lived anywhere but Michigan so I just don't know what it would be like without them. Someday I would like to see :) I kinda would like to move to Hawaii for an entire year. Escape!

Julie said...

Do you grow crepe myrtles in PA? I live in northeast IN and I've never seen them grow this far north. I would love to have them in my garden, so if you can grow them, I have hope.

Lee said...

Hi Julie, yes I have 5 in white, hot pink and purple and red. Love the crepe myrtles. They do well here.
Lisa

Julie said...

Thanks for your encouragement...I will look into getting some to plant this summer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...