We have quite an amount of deer lingering about our grounds so I can never just plant something anywhere. I needed a well thought out plan that would be fenced in for protection.
Well, leave it to my handy dandy hubby, there really isn't much he can't do.
I had seen this photo somewhere online and wanted something like this.
At first we decided on wooden picket fencing but understood that eventually the wood would need replacing down the line and we would intially have to paint it. Then we saw some vinyl fencing that had small stakes at the ends so there wouldn't be a need for putting down any footings or pouring cement. Remember this is a small area we were building. 5ft by 11 ft.
Rob created this wooded frame that was 4ft by 8ft to hold the dirt inside. He then used a pic axe to take out all the grass and level out the ground. Unfortunately there was some rock below on one of the sides so it was as level as it could possibly be without making an afternoon project into a nightmare.
As I watered them I could smell the basil in the air. My trick tip is I also pour some brewed coffee grounds into the soil and mix it in for added nutrients.
And there it is. After 4 hours and some sweat and thankfully no tears, my hubby (who really did most of the manly work, and is the best husband ever) and I completed our vegetable garden.