6.11.2013

Oh Yeah, It's Ikea!

So ever since I bought my little white slipcovered Jennylund chair for my livingroom I have been quietly coveting my couch to be white.  Now if you don't remember my livingroom couch is a lovely chocolate velvet couch from Ethan Allen.  I have had it for a few years and as much as I love it, it is a magnet for every hair, lint, dog hair, sock fiber, you name it, it clings to it.  I had been thinking of our home at the beach.  We have a house that we furnished almost completely with Ikea furniture and accessories.  I love my white Ektorp Ikea couch at the shore. It comes with slipcovers that you can remove and machine wash.  Believe me I have done it.  They are as white as the day I bought it.  I also bought an Ektorp chair with the same slipcover as well.  The slipcovers are so inexpensive that you can even by a back up.
Here are a few photos of our living room at the beach with our Ikea couch and chair.


Some photos were taken with my phone (sorry)


So after thinking about how hot our velvet couch gets in the late afternoon, I asked my husband if that would be a good idea.  He thought it was.  Just out of curiosity I went on Pottery Barn.com to see the competition.
Take a look.
This would have been the couch I would have selected, slipcovered (don't know if it's machine washable) white with three cushions.  Ready  $2,299.00
Now that's a lot of money for a couch I'm going to be swapping with my velvet couch in the fall and winter months.
Now take a look at the Ikea couch again
Price $399.00
Okay now you have to be kidding if you don't think that is the best deal ever.  Isn't it beautiful.
So here it is in my family room at home.



Here is another angle of the room.  My dogs always have to get their noses in the photos.  There is my Jennylund chair in the corner.  I am very happy with the room now and it is feels alot cooler with the slipcovered furniture.  Although my loveseat is a tweed fabric in grey I don't think it looks bad next to the white since my walls are dark grey.  
If you've never gone to Ikea, please do.  I couldn't live without it.  
Just added this for Dori, she's never gone to Ikea.  This above is my Ektorp sofa bed from Ikea with a flowered slipcover.  All slipcovers are machine washable.  This is a little sitting room off of my bedroom at our beach house that we decided to put a sofa bed so that when we have family or friends sleep over we have an extra bed.  We have used it countless times and it is extremely comfortable and easy to open and close.  I can do it with one hand.

And here is a picture of my Jennylund chair at the beach house with slipcover in beige gingham.  Also from Ikea is the big print of willow.  



4 comments :

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Hi Lisa, what a timely post. I just hung up the phone after talking to Ikea about their butcher block counter tops... we are headed to Atlanta Friday to get them. I've NEVER been to an Ikea before, so I'm super excited. Love your couch and your chair - they look beautiful. You've got me excited to look at their furniture now! Its gorgeous. ~ Dori ~

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Such a pretty beach house! Your Ikea addition is great. I love my slipcovered sofa's - they are a lifesaver with our 2 boys and dog. I like that your husband is so flexible and laid back.

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Lisa - Thanks for adding those two pictures!!!!! (And for the one you emailed me too.) I'm super excited about going and I read your emails to my husband and said, "See, its an experience. Not just a shopping trip."! :-) But now, I wanna go stay at your beach house!!!! Ha Ha! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes on Friday! ~ Dori ~

Keeping It Cozy said...

Love your furniture! ONE day I'm going to go to Ikea! :-) (With extra spending money - ha!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...