7.18.2013

Wishful Thinking. . .

When I was in my early twenties I fell in love with a television show called Thirty-Something.
I was in love with Michael Steadman and Hope.  I wanted to be like her and have her life.  Marry a successful advertising creative who opened his own company, buy a great old house that all my friends could congregate at and have a baby, preferrably 2.  Hope and Michael had two children, Janie & Leo.  

They truly were the epitome of the perfect family for me.  I loved their house, their friends, everything about them.  I used to dream of what it would be like to be married and have my own home and my kids.  Well this November it will be 25 years.  Hard to believe.  
Although I didn't gradutate from Princeton, I have a lovely old Princeton sweatshirt that I adore and mostly wear in the fall weekends, married an advertising guy, who opened his own company and thankfully is doing well making commercials and documentary films,  I didn't have a Janie or Leo but I had a Tim and Matthew and that was perfect for me, I have a core group of friends that do visit but not as regularly as I would love because they all live a few states away, Hope was a writer for a magazine, I am a writer and have written 2 novels but have yet to be published.  
I have all the episodes on DVD and for some reason everytime my husband travels I watch them at night in my bed and I laugh at the things I never noticed when I was single and watched the show opposed to now 47 and married for 25 years.  
If Hope didn't work until a few seasons into the show, why didn't she ever have a chance to make dinner?
How hard was it to remove old wallpaper that was peeling off the wall for at least ten episodes.  Come on, I've even removed wallpaper before and it's not that hard when it's practically falling off.  There kitchen walls were a mess.  Why didn't I ever notice that before?
And where was Grendel their dog?  We see him then we don't?  I must take out my dogs 12 times a day and I never saw Hope or Michael take him out and then he just disappeared.
The problems they worried about were so silly, they did alot of worrying about what if's?  LIfe is so complicated, there is too much to worry about already without worrying about things that haven't even happened yet.  
If you have never seen it, it goes down as my number 1 favorite television series of all time.  


6 comments :

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Lisa - cute post! And I've never seen the series... I'll have to watch it sometime! ~ Dori ~

Blondie's Journal said...

I loved this show, too, and watched it religiously. I could never identify with Hope, she was such a downer. And I could never figure out why there house was in such a state of disrepair for SO long!! I felt more of an affinity with (names are long forgotten), Elliot and his wife, the blonde who had cancer. When they split up, she came into her own. Loved it. And Ellen was a great character, she made me think of my working girl/single days.

You brought back some great memories!

XO,
Jane

Brenda said...

Lisa, I hadn't thought of Thirty- Something for a long time; it used to be one of my favorites too! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Alexander @ Jackdaw said...

I haven't heard of it as a program - maybe we never got it in the UK or France. It looks kind of like a 'Friends' which I loved.

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Ah, what an interesting post.

I stopped watching tv when I was in my 20s - over 30 years ago, so never watched this show.

I may have to now.

But mostly I love how you have changed, and see things differently.

And I am really glad your dreams came true. That's the best part, learning and knowing THAT.

Now go get those novels published!

Little Bitty Damn Houze said...

Found your blogg on another one. Lee is my name too! Reason I stopped by....but, I decided to stay, so I am following you now! I have enjoyed my first visit. Can't wait for more post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...