9.30.2013

Comfort Food

Today I made some cornbread.  Nothing fancy, nothing complicated.  Just the easy cornbread  recipe from the back of the Quaker corn meal canister.  I made it in my favorite cast iron skillet.  The only way to make true cornbread.  
It was something I craved, and filled the need for something comforting with my dinner.  I have tried many recipes, and when I entertain I even make a jalapeno cornbread.  But honestly, the quaker recipe is so easy, and delicious and satisfying.  I do add a few cubes of butter on top a few minutes before taking it out of the oven.  It gives it that perfect golden color and adds a little salty sweetness to the bread.
It only takes a few minutes and will be a wonderful addition to any meal.  
Here is the recipe:

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Quaker or Aunt Jemima enriched corn meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 F. Grease 8 or 9 inch pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve warm.
9 servings.

Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...