1.25.2014

The Foundation Of A Barn

As I watch through the window at the snow falling again, it feels as if I will never see grass again.
We had a foot of snow fall last week and today another few inches and although everything looks beautiful I find myself feeling anxious for warmer days.  Looking at my barn I am filled with hope as I think about the preparations we will have to do for my son's wedding.
The barn will need some painting along with power washing of the house.  Since I was focusing on the barn I thought I'd post about how the Barn was built for some of you new followers.
Hope you find it interesting.
Since we live in Pennsylvania, we hired a wonderful Amish company to build our barn.  We wanted an authentic barn built and we were extremely pleased.  Take a look.





 It was very hard not to spend the day in awe staring out the window as these young men worked non stop.





I was tempted to write in the concrete when they poured it in but was afraid I would have made a mess.



 Now below are a few of the young men.  I took this photo without their knowledge.  I didn't want to offend them or disrespect them but I wanted a keepsake of the experience.
 Since I really didn't get a photograph I decided to make my own in honor of my new friends.

 "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." Keats

Above, the loft of the barn.  Oh if I were a little girl again the hours of enjoyment I would have had up here with an old rug neatly placed and all my dolls all around me.  I would have loved to have a play area like this as a child.
Above is the view from the back of our property.
The workers ate their breakfast and lunch every day for two weeks on our picnic table along with fresh baked goodies I baked for them every day and a fresh pot of coffee.  The barn took exactly 10 days to be raised.  Then after a few days the stone mason and his son came to finish with the stone border all around the bottom.
I think my favorite feature is the doors.  I love the look of them and the windows.
I added this last photo so that you can see the scale of the barn and how high the doors are when I stand next to them.  
I truly am grateful for my barn and the experience with my Amish friends.  Since then they have worked on our fence, built our study, and changed our roof.  We would never dream of doing any renovations without their expertise and amazing spirit.



8 comments :

Nella Miller said...

I loved reading this Lee....it is beautiful...I can only imagine how lovely your son's wedding will be...I would love doing wedding flowers and decor here...N.xo

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

Wow I love your barn and what a great experience to have the Amish build it for you! I really like the stone skirting that was added- what a great look! I bet it smells so good inside too with all that fresh lumber. I would have loved to play upstairs as a child too! We just got an additional 12" of snow since Thursday... It's too cold to be outside much but if I had a barn like that I'd probably find myself out there doing something!

Ann said...

Your barn is just beautiful. I grew up on a farm and we kept hay in the barn's loft. Me and my friends spent entire days building forts and playing in the hay loft. Thanks for bring back those memories.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So pretty! Love it covered in snow...
Blessings,
Cindy

Brenda said...

Your barn is a thing of beauty. An Amish man made our kitchen cabinets, and the workmanship is exceptional! Since he made the cabinets, we have had him and his sons do other carpentry work for us and our son. It is all finely done.

I can't wait to see photos of your son's wedding.

Vikki said...

The barn is beautiful! I am an official follower of your blog now and I am sorry it has taken me this long. The house that John and I live in now was also built by hard working, wonderful Amish workers! They do beautiful work, as you know. I love your "photo" of them. I am looking forward to your book release and seeing you again soon. Lots of love!
Vikki :) xoxo

Alice said...

I caanot wait to see pictures of your son's barn wedding! I know how much love and beauty you will put into it!

Sebastian Chuter said...

I personally look every detail how the barn builds in a unique way. It’s too close and beautiful to look at. I agree how look attractive the door is. The white paint, Classy!

Sebastian of
Gazebo and Bali Hut Super Store

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...