3.15.2014



I have always believed I was truly Southern, or at least my heart was.  I have, ever since I can remember had a love and fixation with Tennessee.  I have visited 12 times throughout the years and honestly it has always been a place I felt at home in.  One of the reasons I fell in love with where I live now was because it reminded me alot of Tennessee, the rolling hills, the farmland the rural areas.
I never went away for college (long story) but if I could have I would have in a heart beat and my first choice would have been Tennessee.  When my boys were growing up and we would play video games and I would pick a team I always selected Tennesse and would joke and say it was my alma mater.  My boys would make fun of me and say you are not from there and I would argue and say I was.
Well my husband and youngest went to visit the school yesterday.  Matt had been accepted but was still waiting to hear from his last two choices. He had made Purdue, and Ithaca and was holding out for news form Oregon and Syracuse. Oregon had sent a letter saying he was deferred and would hear from them. Oregon was his first pick and as much as mine was Tennessee I would never have tried to change his mind.  Deep down I knew if he were to go to Oregon I probably would never visit since I don't fly anymore. (another long story - terribly terrified of it)
It was so so far.  But first and foremost I want my sons to be happy and would never ever interfere with their dreams.
Well last night my dream came true.  Matthew came home smitten head over heals.  The University truly swooped him off his feat to the point where he said I don't want to wait. I want to go there.  I was thrilled.  My husband was thrilled, and so was my oldest son.
Life can be peculiar.  I was a journalism major and then became a teacher and now I am back to writing and finally an author.  Matthew will be concentrating on journalism, will be living in Tennessee attending the University of Tennessee.  I will have a touch of the south in my daily life and a connection deeply routed because of my son.  It is an 8 and a half hour drive from my house which I love long drives and we have traveled to Boston on occassion and it really is an easy drive.  I can leave at 8 am and be there before dinner and never step on an airplane.
Last night he brought me an orange hooded sweatshirt from the school that I will wear proudly.
Sometimes. . . if you think about it, you might think your dreams never came true or you should have or could have done more and then life throws you a curve ball and your child grows up to finish what you never dreamed you could have.  Your dream - becomes reality in them.
Congrats to my son Matt.  We are so proud!


5 comments :

Carol said...

Congratulations to both of you from the state of TN. This is an unofficial welcome from the middle of our state.

Keeping It Cozy said...

How exciting, Lisa! I'm so happy for you both. (And I completely understand your love of TN... :-)

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

I'm really excited for you, Lisa. After getting your email the other day I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you that your son would love it! I will agree with everything you have said. Tennessee is a very special place. We felt it the first time we visited here when our children were little - Tennessee has always been in the back of our minds. Hence the reason we retired here. We love it more than we ever thought possible! Maybe we'll meet you someday now! xoxo Dori

Yarlette Gebarowski said...

I am so happy for you and your son . my husband transferred to Tennessee with his company and we love it here. We have lived here forty years now. My husband retired two years ago and we are staying in this beautiful state. It is home to us.

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

What a great story! Very exciting. I still have a couple of years before my oldest hits college. I too do not like air travel at all. I don't even like to think about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...