7.24.2014

An Afternoon Project

I sit on my porch every evening with my dogs.  It's where I unwind and relax.  My dogs take turns sitting with me on my swing.  I have been wanting to get another place for others that join me or for my doggies to sit as well.  I found the lovely wicker settee at Pier 1.  They are currently having an outdoor furniture sale and I got it on sale.  I purchased a green cushion because it was the only one they had.  I wanted white.  I figured I would just cover it anyway.  
I love love love Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic line.  But her fabrics are 40 dollars a yard.  I am in love with all her faded floral prints that are so beautiful and so comforting for the home.
So since I didn't want to spend 120 dollars on three yards to redo my settee I bought a full size sheet set from Rachel Ashwell's Shabby chic line from Target.  So for under 30 dollars I was able to do this and still have fabric left over.
Now I sew them using my sewing machine but I want to assure you that I am not a seamstress. I know one stitch and know how to thread a sewing machine, that is all.  I can sew a hem or make a table cloth or pillow but that's all.
I was very happy with the end result.  Now I would not let Martha Stewart stand over me as I am sewing because I guarantee she would faint at the sight.

Okay so imagine cutting a square of folded fabric beneath the pillow leaving an inch all around.  
Then turning the fabric square inside out and making sure all corners and sides are touching.  Then sew three sides just with a straight stitch leaving one side open.  Then flip the fabric from inside out to the way the pillow will look.  Then insert your pillow and then take the side that is not sewn and folding both sides and having them join, sew that side closed.  
Ta da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's All Folks!

3 comments :

Marilyn said...

The white wicker is absolutely lovely and what a smart idea to buy sheets and make pillow covers. At that price, you could buy additional sheets and make seasonal covers.

You mentioned having left over fabric. Have you considered making a skirt for the little table between the rocking chairs??

Again, love the summery wicker look on your porch.

Marilyn (in Dallas)

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

The white wicker is so beautiful. And it looks like a perfectly comfy place to sit. I sit on our porch every evening too. It is so good for the body and soul, huh? - Dori -

White Lace and Promises said...

What a great idea if only I could sew. Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic style is my favorite. Love your front porch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...