8.30.2014

It Started With The Stairs. . .

42 days is all I have left before the wedding and don't you know we decided to do some of the work on the interior now!  
This is how it started.  Our home is a sweet old farmhouse that has a lot of wonderful details that are part of the original house.  We still have some of the original flagtone flooring in our foyer and our steps have not been touched.  But they had been covered with a wall to wall rug for years.  At some point in the middle of the summer I said to my husband, wouldn't it be nice if we could take the rug off the stairs and expose the hard wood?
Well after a few minutes of sitting in silence as we both stared into the blank canvas of possibilities in our minds we both rushed to the stairs and while my husband pried a piece of the carpet up, I was giddy with excitement as I could see the wood peeking form beneath.
Cut to my husband, my two sons and I hours later on our hands and knees with bloody fingers and stiff joints glued to pliers as we pulled the million of stapels from the floor.
This was our end result.

The stairs were damaged in some spots by the staples but still pretty to look at.  The wood beneath each step was in desperate need of new spackle and painting.
So we decided to repair them. 
Now during the time of consulting our painter and having several discussions with my husband about the upstairs landing now needing moldings that were missing because of the rug we began talking about our doors.  The house has these old doors that were stained and polyurethaned years ago.  There is one below in our little foyer.

Now from far they look great but if you were standing in front of them believe me you would see how the polyurethane is peeling everywhere and the color has chipped over time and the stain is just too dark.  That's when we talked about stripping the doors and repainting them without stain or polyurethane.  I hate polyurathane.  But then we were faced with the moldings along the floor and frames of the door.  Well lets just say the list continued to grow until finally we came up with this.
9 doors stripped and repainted
2 linen closet doors
5 closet doors
1 pair of french doors
window sills throughout the house 
moldings along the floors of the family room mudroom, foyer and bedrooms and upstairs landings.
Oh and almost forgot . . . refinish the stairs.  The stairs was what started this entire project.  I know I think I'm a glutten for punishment.  
So I have been searching for the right color.  My dear friend Catherine has been helping me match a color she had that went well with her white walls.  Will post when the project is complete.  The painter said he's looking at possibly in the next two weeks.  I can't wait to see my old doors looking new again.  


6 comments :

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

WOW! You have quite the excitement going on over there!! Yikes, huh? But it is all gonna be soooo awesome when it's done.

Yes, you are a glutton for punishment and the stress would KILL me! Good luck - hope it all goes well for you!

Catherine said...

I hope that color is what you had in mind! I wish could have been more helpful! xo

Khush Interis said...

We had our heart set on the beautiful canopied patio, but their team transformed the lobby into a wonderful cocktail hour. Every staff passing out appetizers and drinks made the guests feel comfortable.
Chicago Venues

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Lisa, this post was pretty funny because it reminded me EXACTLY of something I would do. And that's the problem with even small renovating jobs... they always, always, always lead to more!!! :-) Can't believe October 11 is right around the corner! :-) - Dori -

Blogger said...

I've just installed iStripper, so I can have the hottest virtual strippers on my taskbar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...