2.08.2015

Floor Plans

This is our kitchen floor. It's limestone.  I selected it over ten years ago when we had our kitchen done and at the time I was happy with my decision until I had to clean it and stand on it and live with it.  For some people they don't mind the cold hard surface of stone.  I thought I wanted it because it was what everyone was getting in those days.  Well a month after our kitchen began to settle and so did the floor bringing cracks and breaks all across the floor from one side to the other.  It took years to finally get to the other side but it was something I was tired to explain everytime I entertained.  "So how did that happen?" Was the usual question as I served hordevours across my kitchen island.  Let's just say I got tired of answering it.  
Don't try to look, you won't see the crack in the photo below, I did not want to photograph that.  
After some research I found a company out of Irvington New Jersey.   It's called Real Antique Wood.  www.realantiquewood.com
My husband and I ventured out on Saturday morning.  It took us an hour but was truly worth the trip. I'll show you what we saw and decided on.  The company is owned by a very lovely couple who have dedicated their life to finding old barns and recycling the wood for absolutely everything imaginable.  






It's a very cool warehouse complete with a mill, antique storing area where they keep old collected barn doors and architectural finds like windows and doors, mantels and more.  Although it is arctic temps inside, I could literally see my cold breath in the air, the reception is warm from the owners and sales person.  After looking at a few samples of flooring for the kitchen we decided on Hemlock.  
Wide plank Hemlock about 8 1/2 inches in width.  
Below is pictured a narrower floor.  This one is about 6 1/2 inches.  But you can get an idea of what it will look like.
 I love the knots and imperfections.  It will make our kitchen warm and easier on the back.  Around Christmas time I spend hours standing on the limestone baking cookies.  It will be a relief once it's in.
 We will sample some of the finishing waxes to keep the color light and warm but not too orange or yellow in color.  I want it to be more natural looking.

We ordered 600 square feet of Hemlock that once was part of an old Barn.  I love that it will be in our home, on our kitchen floor, a part of history with it's own story.    Stay tuned this Spring for the step by step post.  









7 comments :

Catherine said...

It will be beautiful! xo

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Hi Lisa, oh that wood is gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see pictures of it in your kitchen. It will really "warm" up your home! I love it. - Dori -

Kim said...

That is going to be beautiful!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

So pretty. The wide planks will look so nice!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

You are going to love them! Nothing better than hardwood flooring and you have made a gorgeous choice!
Blessings,
Cindy

Megan @ Farmhouse5540.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing the information on Real Antique Wood, my husband and I have been looking for a place like this and are definitely going to make a trip there next time we are out that way! I can't wait to see how your floors look!

Jeff Allison said...

One probable cause of those cracks could be the uneven distribution of cement underneath it, which happens often at the sides of the tiles. Tiles do look good, but once they start getting those cracks, it gets very irritating. Anyway, the hard wood floors are lovely, and I think you’ve made a great decision replacing the tiles with it. Good day!


Jeff Allison @ On the Level Floor Covering

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...