3.20.2015

DIY . . . I Did It Myself!!!!!!

After my husband suggested that I attempt to do the cushion myself I was insulted by his comment.  How dare he think that I could attempt to do something so important to me, by myself.  This piece deserved the fine hand of a real upholsterer who could bring this piece back to it's original state of beauty.    But after thinking of how long it would actually take and how much it might  cost, I  took a quick trip to Joanne's fabric.   After  finding these two slabs of great layered firm foam I reconsidered the idea.  

I purchased two pieces.  25 inches in width and about 76 inches long.  It was a bit more than I needed and thought I might use the second piece for trim pieces.  (Returning home I suffered a terrible "accident" with my truck.  I will leave that for my next post, but thankfully I am ok after such a surreal experience)  When I returned I asked my husband and friend Michelle who had come by, to help stuff the slipcover.  We used both pieces.  

I now acknowledge that my husband's suggestion was actually a smart one.  I spent 34.99 on each piece and used a bread knife to cut to foam to size.  I love that the foam keeps it's shape.  I'm able to lay on it without making the cushion float up.  It is  firm and comfortable and I am so pleased with the end result.  I'm happy we did it ourselves!

Question for my blogging friends?  So after I washed the slipcover with the dye free, chemical free, perfume free tide in cold water and on delicate cycle and treating it wtih a small amount of oxyclean I am still left with these stains.  Any ideas how to camouflage them?  Or remove them?




11 comments :

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

GRATS! I think you underestimate your talents, my dear!

So sorry about the accident - don't let it spoil this successful blissful feeling though!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

That is wonderful that you were able to do it yourself! It is such a beautiful piece!!

Heather said...

Good for you for doing it yourself. Too bad about the stains. The bottom one isn't too noticeable in the picture. Can you hide the other one with a throw?

Hill House said...

It looks great! I might have to try this!

Try a little bit of baking soda mixed with peroxide and let it sit a bit on the stains. You might have to do it several times.

Is this Black & White? If the design ink bleaches a little bit you could fill it in with a ultra sharp black sharpie.

Junkchiccottage said...

Ohhhhh Lee I am in love with this beautiful sofa. You are a lucky girl and so talented to make that cushion yourself. Bravo you go girl that looks fabulous. Is that stain rust. I would think if it was anything else the oxy clean would have gotten it out. If it is rust I think they actually make a cleaner that will get the rust out of clothing or material you might try that. I get this stuff from Walmart that is called OUT. You find it in the pet aisle. It is a spray stain remover that you can use for pet stains. OMG I love this stuff. It gets blood, wine almost anything out of fabric so you might want to try that. You spray it on and let it sit and then spray it again and wipe it down with a sponge or cloth. Hope something will work to get that out.
Kris

Lee said...

You all have been so kind with all your suggestions. I am going to try each and every one and will report back. Promise.

Carol said...

Dear friend,
I have used Grandma's Spot Stain Remover to remove blood spots from quilting squares...not sure how they got there. I bought it at Hancock's (fabric store). It comes in a 2 ounce bottle...only takes a drop or two. Send me your mailing address if you cannot find it. Sending sunshine from middle TN!

Pat OHara said...

The formula I use to get stains out is Dawn dishwashing soap( and it has to be that brand), peroxide in spray bottle, and baking soda. This is for getting out old and new stains. The peroxide doesn't seem to wash out the color on the fabric, for some reason.
So I spray the peroxide on first, followed my a smear of Dawn, and the sprinkle the baking soda on top, and then rub w/ toothbrush. Here is the key...let it sit 24 hours. It may take several times, but it is amazing. Did this on my daughters stained blouse, underarms, and it looks like new! (100% cotton) and it had been washed and dried many times.
Also I have had good luck with Hotshot carpet cleaner. Target has it. I use it on clothing that has stains.
Good luck!

Anne Marsh said...

Wow! Congratulations on doing that on your own. It is not that easy to replace foams on upholsteries, and it seems to me that you’ve done some legitimate-looking fabricating. Anyway, there are a lot of ways to get stains remove. You can buy products or homemade pastes. Thanks for sharing!


Anne Marsh @ ABE Cleaning Services

Monique Fletcher said...

Great job on doing the upholstery yourself. You’ve really outdid yourself this time. Your new upholstered sofa looks great, though the stains are a bit of a downer. But I’m sure you’ll find a way to fix that soon. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Monique Fletcher @ Safe Clean

Bo Tolbert said...

Hey! I really like how you got the cushion done on your own. I have been looking for something to get spots out of my couch, too. I didn't do the cushion myself, but I've got some stains. I've been checking out different websites for the best option for removing the stains from the slipcovers.

Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply Company

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...