3.31.2015

My Floor Is Green!

When we met with our soon to be Hollywood floor guy Gary, (he's the best) the first thing I told him was I wanted no harmful chemicals in my home.  I didn't have a say in the early 90's when we moved into our house then.  We had a six year old and a newborn and we had just bought this house and no money to do anything but move in to it.  Gradually we have worked on each room through the years adding, extending, changing, remodeling and unfortunately we had inherited alot of features to our home that if we had been given a choice we would have made different choices.  So that is why the kitchen floor was so important to me to get it right.  I consulted my number one go to person for all matters pertaining to restoring a home,  my dearest friend Catherine.  She gave me some choices and I talked it over with Gary and then he mentioned using Rubio Monocoat.  After doing some more research we decided to go with the earth friendly product.  We selected a natural neutral oil that would only bring out the character in the wood and warmth of the hemlock without adding color to it.

It was important to me to find a product that would enhance our floors but not bring in toxic and harsh fumes leaving ehemical residuals in our home environment.  I was also thinking about my doggies.
Here are some photos from yesterday while the guys were adding the rubio monocoat.


As you can see it actually just brings out the honey color in the wood similar to when the boards are wet.  I also found out that the hemlock was from an old salvage barn in Bloomsfield NJ.  I not only feel happier that I selected a safe product for the environment but that I also was able to recycle an important natural resource and save it while at the same time it is reclaimed for a new purpose and use,  to be transformed into my new kitchen floor.  
Big reveal to come this weekend.





7 comments :

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

WONDERFUL! All excellent to learn - your floors are awesome, can't wait to see the official "reveal!"

Ramon Valdez said...

Lisa, you did it again my friend. I love the stain you choose and can not wait to see it all out together.

Ramon
Rowhouseblog.com

Gina said...

Haha, I was thinking, "a green floor?" :/ Gorgeous floor and I love the honey color. :)

Catherine said...

A beautiful new addition to your beautiful home xoxo

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Lisa,

Oh I love your floors. Can't wait too the final! - Dori -

Diana Moses Botkin said...

What a lovely home you're making, Lisa. This floor is spectacular!

Jeff Allison said...

The Rubio Monocoat looks amazing! It managed to bring out a better version of your floor, giving it a nice shine. Anyway, how are things doing with the floor nowadays? Has it sustained that shine until now? Good luck with making your home green one step at a time. Good day!



Jeff Allison @ On The Level Floors

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...