3.18.2015

Nothing is Freely Given

The only reason I am doing this post is because I promised I would let you all know when I got my antique sofa.
Well . . . it arrived today.
Now I want to say first of all that I was told that there were spots of discoloration and was told that a recommendation was made about reupholstering.
First let me say that the sofa/settee is 80 percent in good condition.  The frame is perfect, the fabric is intact and not as faded as they claimed but it does have a few spots about the size of a quarter in a dark brown.
Now let me remind you of the piece I am talking about.
Notice that the cushion is very fluffy.  Well that's an understatement.  It is extremely balloon like because of the feathers which immediately I decided that I did not want to keep as is.  As I moved it around I began to see feathers flying.   Feathers everywhere.   When I removed the slipcover from the insert it was too late to turn back.  The feathers were everwhere.  Thousands of them flying all around.   In the air, on my clothes, in my hair sticking to the wall.  After I vacuumed all the loose feathers, which was a job in itself, I took the slipcover and actually treated it with a bit of a light stain remover and washed it in the washing machine under delicate.  Then after drying it on no heat fluff cycle I ironed it and it looked alot better.  But I have decided to remove the insert for good.  I don't like the down cushion so I have asked my friend and reupholsterer to make me one firm cushion so that I may place it inside the washed slipcover.  
Here are a few pics.  

Once I have the cushion done I will do a post that will show a full photo of the piece.  I guess nothing comes freely, everything requires a bit of work.  I knew it was an old antique and there might be some work to be done.  I am pleased with the condition of it.  I just wish I could make the cushion myself.  I guess I'm not that brave.

7 comments :

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

It's going to be just awesome.

It's a beautiful piece, it truly is!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

What a beautiful piece of furniture!!

Heather said...

The description of all those feathers flying sounds like an episode of I Love Lucy. It's a beautiful piece. I'm sure you are excited to have it finished.

Allisha said...

Love this, great find!

Junkchiccottage said...

Lee,
It is going to be awesome when you get the new inserts. What a gorgeous piece.
Kris

Donna C. said...

What a find...just beautiful!!!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Gorgeous piece of furniture and you have made it look so much better. Love the setting with the lighting and clock.
I am coming over from Ramon's blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...