8.14.2015

Transitioning

As I help my son pack his belongings into bins and bags and work on jam packing my truck I can't help but feel sad.  I've never liked change.  I am a creature of habit.  (I'm not talking about decor, that's different. )  I have had the same cup of coffee every day for the past 20 or so years.  I have worn the same perfume since I was 17.  
I'm not a fan of transition.  Whether it's the seasons changing or immediate changes in my life.  
Tomorrow we embark on a trip.  The trip to take my son back for his second year at school.
Today as I walked in my yard I can see the leaves settling already on my grass.  The flowers are all crispy and tired of the daily heat and all the birds nests are empty.  I even noticed the light beginning to change.  It's dark now by 8 here.   
Last night the temperatures dropped a bit and the breeze gave me a chill as I walked my dogs.  A sign of the transition, the change of season.  
I will have to get used to hours alone and knowing that my son is not in his bed at night safely under my roof once more.  
When we return from our trip, my husband and I will be spending the last few weeks of August at the beach.  Our place there has been neglected this summer and I long to retreat by the ocean.  It's always been so healing for me.  I could be by the sea from the end of June to Sept if I could.  June is when my garden is at its best.  With my son home, and his friends home from their schools it's been hard to spend much time away from our home.  I would not have wanted to go without him especially now that we are apart for most of the year.  
It's never easy being a mother.  You wear your heart on your sleeve at all times.  So once again it is transition time.  
I don't love it but I am happy for my son's year and new experiences for him to be had.  
As the leaves begin to turn, and there is a slow chill in the distance, I seek to find peace in my time of transition.  
I hope you enjoy the last few weeks of the summer and to all the moms out there who will be parting from their children's side for school, I wish you . . .  peace.

1 comments :

Catherine said...

Sending love to you and Matt xoxoxoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...