9.16.2015

Sweet Little Pies . . . It's Pie Season !


I discovered my love for making pies when I first watched Martha Stewart make a pie on television.    I remember frantically searching my local bookstore for Martha's book called Pies which I still have today.  I marveled at her crust cut outs in shapes of leaves and pumpkins and small apples and I thought, "I can do that. "
Well since then I have made hundreds of pies.  I enjoy making apple pies, they are my favorite because I have created my own recipe through the years.  Michaels had these sweet little pie plates.  They are about 4 inches in diameter and a perfect portion for two people to share.  I made and baked them today and then gave away four and shared one with my hubby.
My favorite crust style is the basket weave technique, but during the holidays I do punch out shapes like leaves and pumpkins to adorn my pumpkin pies and pecan tarts. 
So above is the baked pie.   Ohhh I mean, partial pie.  
I will share with you my personal apple pie recipe as long as you call it "Lisa's Apple Pie."
For a regular size pie:
(I used this recipe and split it into four )
5 to 6 apples peeled and sliced (Get the Williams Sonoma apple peeler, the best)
Homemade pie crust (I use Martha's recipe when I make it from scratch but I'll be honest the pillsbury pie crust is excellent)
1/2 cup of sugar to a little under 3/4 cup
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbs of brown sugar
1 tsp good vanilla 
1 tsp of flour
1 tbs of butter
1 egg whisked with 1 tsp of water for brushing on top of the crust

Place and mold pie crust on pie plate.  Make slits in the bottom of the crust on plate.
Add 1 tsp of flour at the bottom.
Mix all sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar together.
After apples are peeled and sliced lay along the pie bottom going around in a circle.  (I like to fan them around neatly.)  Once the apples are all placed, add the sugar sprinkling it generously around the apples.  (Save a tsp of sugar for the top)
Add the tbs of butter in pieces and drop in different spots.  
Decide how you want to make your crust top and cover the pie.  
Brush with egg wash and then sprinkle saved tsp of sugar mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min to an hour.  (45 min if cooking on convection at 325)
Enjoy!










1 comments :

Brenda said...

Your pies are perfection! I admire people who have the skill to turn out pies that are so beautiful as yours are. I don't have that skill, but your lovely pies make me want to give it another try. Maybe I will find a tutorial online and start from there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...