11.12.2015

A Special Gift.

If I had to pick my favorite home accessory it would have to be all my mirrors.  I adore a good mirror and have quite a collection.   My husband doesn't seem to get it.  He thinks we should just have one mirror in the bathroom for necessity.  Men!  We recently visited our dear friends Catherine and Mike.  Catherine is in my opinion "the mirror queen."  I love her taste and have always admired how she can make any room unique and beautiful.  I'm not ashamed to say that I have copied many things in my home from her.
A few years ago, Catherine's home was featured in Country Living Magazine, twice.

I think everyone saved that issue.  In my opinion it was the most beautiful issue CL has ever released, but then again my opinion is biased. The photo showcased a beautiful gold mantle mirror.  
I loved that mirror from the moment I saw it.  On our recent visit, Catherine gave the mirror to me.  I could not believe that she was going to give  me such an extravagant gift.   I asked her repeatedly if she couldn't  use it in the new house but her new home is larger and has higher ceilings and she has quite a collection of lovely mirrors to place all over her magnificent home.    She assured me that she wanted me to have it.  I was thrilled and couldn't wait to get it home.  It never even dawned on me to measure. . . 
Well, when my husband unwrapped the mirror, raised it up on the mantle and attempted to put it into place,  we encountered a problem.  It didn't fit.  
Our family room has wooden beams along the ceiling.  The one directly centered over the mantle was in the way of the top of the mirror.     It was then that my husband gave me that look.  You know the look ladies.  The one that is shouting at you without saying a word.   I could hear him saying . . . "So I guess you didn't measure huh?" That was what  I imagined he was thinking and unfortunately he was right.  I didn't measure.  Would you,  if one of your best friends gave you a precious antique mirror?  
Before he said another word I was about to burst into tears.  I guess he saw the look of sheer desperation and somehow took pity on me.  A few seconds later, he was cutting into the wooden beam.  
(Please excuse the above, having blog trouble centering and working with margin.)
  
I don't know if it was the right thing to do but Rob carefully notched it and fit the mirror into place.

Then he painted the inside so that it would hide the freshly cut piece.
I love the detail.  There are lovely roses on each of the four corners of the frame.

Once the mirror was in place I welcomed it and introduced myself by saying: " Welcome, I am Lisa, Catherine's friend.  This is your new home.  I will love you and cherish you forever.
I am blessed to have such a generous friend.  I am thrilled to have such a beautiful mirror.  
" A thing of beauty is a joy forever." John Keats
I guess I'm gonna have a lifetime of joy.

8 comments :

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a sweet and endearing friend you have. It's certainly a treasure. That hubby of yours is a keeper.
fondly ~lynne~

Sandy Bowers said...

When I read that you were notching the beam I almost shouted "No, don't do it!" but I must say the mirror looks lovely there and is a real treasure from a good friend! Love that you spoke to it! :)

Julia Larino said...

#1......Love the mirror !

#2......When did my nephew start wearing glasses ??

#3......HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

XOXOX

Auntie Julie

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

What a sweet friend, wow- what a generous and lovely gift.

Her home is beyond awesome, no wonder she was featured in CL magazine (twice!)

I love the mirror there and your hubs is a gem. Happy (belated?) birthday.

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Hi Lisa,

Wow... now THAT is smart thinking to notch that out! It looks perfect. The mirror definitely goes there. And how incredibly sweet was Catherine to give you the mirror. What a special friend.

I bet you had such a lovely trip visiting and seeing their new old farmhouse. I've loved reading the progress... but to see it in person? Wow. I bet that was awesome!

Big hugs,

Dori

Catherine Burke said...

I never remember to measure things either! So glad it's in its new home with you and Rob and it was so lovely to see you two. What fun we have! . xoxoxoxo Catherine

Silvana Joanne said...

The mirror looks amazing there. It was a good idea to notch that out because that looks like the perfect spot!

Homer Collins said...

What an incredible story of the mirror's journey, as well as yours, as you struggled to get it to fit into your home! Being a bloke like your husband, I'd have seen it as my manly duty to come up with a solution to make it work, just like he did. It looks great in your home now.

Homer Collins @ Pinnacle Renovations

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...